D french-speaking community

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Sun Nov 10 07:37:02 PST 2013

On 2013-11-10 03:22:14 +0000, "deadalnix" <deadalnix at gmail.com> said:

> On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 12:02:17 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better to concentrate efforts on making the official D
>> site and the forum interface multilingual? (and also incidentally add a
>> French forum here?) Then this system can be expanded to other languages
>> easily.
>
> The french translation of the site is hillarious right now. The
> translator understand "native" as in native american. You must try it
> is you understand some french.

I tried it. It's a useless gimmick. I've said so many years ago. I'd
actually find it rather embarrassing to have a widget like this on my
own site because I'd feel like I was giving some endorsement that
totally ridiculous and for the most part unhelpful translation. That's
definitely not what I want to see when I say the site should be
multilingual.

The site should allow human translators to translate the content and
make that translated content available to visitors (with a widget
similar to the google one, or a menu on the side like on Wikipedia).
That's not unlike what the PHP Manual is doing:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/pdostatement.fetch.php
http://www.php.net/manual/fr/pdostatement.fetch.php
http://www.php.net/manual/zh/pdostatement.fetch.php
http://www.php.net/manual/ja/pdostatement.fetch.php

Of course then you need people translating the content. But that won't
come before there's some means to put these translations online as part
of the site build process.

And finally the web forum should also allow the user to select its user
interface language, and there should be a forum dedicated to
discussions in French (and possibly others for other languages).

At least that's the way I'd make things welcoming for non-english speakers.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca