Why the @ in @safe? & UDAs

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Sun Nov 10 15:39:04 PST 2013

On Sunday, 10 November 2013 at 23:08:11 UTC, Nick wrote:
> The alternative is to slowly build up a menagerie of quirks
> that put us on the same path as C++.

It seems that a buildup of quirks is underway as is evidenced by
this discussion. The other solution is to at some point place a
freeze on D2 with bug support only and move on to D3 with at
least the worse of the known baggage removed. There are of course
disadvantages and dangers with doing that, but it is an option.

Ultimately if we try and keep everyone happy, at some point no
one will be happy, so I think it's worth trying to find good
solutions to enable the language to evolve in ways that can leave
baggage from the past behind.

--rt