Thoughts about D package management on Gentoo

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Nov 11 07:02:12 PST 2013

Am Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:22:34 +0100
schrieb "Dicebot" <public at dicebot.lv>:

> `PKGBUILD` in Arch Linux is simply a standard package building
> script, essentially a bash script with metadata. It is not a
> package on its own, in is used to create ones. It is convenient
> for maintenance to generate packages with a shared/related built
> process from a single PKGBUILD. This, for example, is the one for
> dmd stack :
> https://github.com/Dicebot/Arch-PKGBUILDs/blob/master/dmd/PKGBUILD

That looks very similar to an ebuild, with the major
difference that a PKGBUILD can define multiple packages and
an ebuild has USE flags I think.

> If such package is a stand-alone application and does not seem to
> be maintained for some time it can be adjusted to use DVM to
> retrieve older version specifically to build itself. Not very
> convenient, but won't at least pollute the system with dozens of
> different compiler/phobos versions.

We will see how bad it becomes, hehe. I hope that it will
mostly be the last to versions of a compiler and one older
version for the one program you happen to use that wasn't
updated for a while.

--
Marco