Thoughts about D package management on Gentoo

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Nov 11 07:53:59 PST 2013

Am Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:08:22 +0100
schrieb "Dicebot" <public at dicebot.lv>:

> On Monday, 11 November 2013 at 13:45:10 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> > What do you define as being a "consistent deployment" ?
>
> Similar path patterns for binaries, standard libraries and import
> modules. Similar compilation defaults. Use of FE version as
> primary one (GDC is especially useless here as its native version
> is tied to GCC version and says nothing about supported language).

That is a deficit. I'd like to make packages depend on a
version of the language, but that's not easy with LDC and GDC
at the moment. GDC is a mix of GCC version, D front-end
version, an ancient version number 0.30 and a Git commit
hash. :o)

Dicebot: I have decided that it makes most sense to not fight
GCC. D will eventually be an official GCC language and in the
Gentoo tree. That will be how you install GDC in the future.
We'll have to live with the binary, library and include
directories it creates.
I tried to have common directories between compilers, but
messing with the GCC installation is not on my agenda.
A good option might be to make the GDC ebuild behave exactly
like the GCC ebuild but block installation of GCC and GDC in
the same slot. That should be closest to what we will see in a
year (or so) when D is official in GCC. At that point the
separate GDC ebuild can be dropped.

As for detecting the language version there is always the
option to compile this and see:

module version.d;
paragma(msg, __VERSION__);

--