What’s Wrong with OOP and FP

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Nov 12 09:59:52 PST 2013

Am 12.11.2013 17:10, schrieb eles:
> On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 15:35:48 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 15:27:36 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>>> Ali Çehreli:
>> Sometimes I have feeling language researchers live in some strange
>> imaginary world and never actually check how their
>
> Lambda the Ultimate and Javaland.

Well, in defence of Javaland, it is a consequence how easy it is for
enterprise architects to try out their crazy ideas in Java.

Except for a few years at CERN, I always worked in enterprise land, so
I have seen FactoryFactoryAbstractThingy being done in:

- C based platform which used its own concept of pointers, requiring
conversions between framework pointers and C pointers

- A Frankenstein framework done in CORBA with a healthy mix of C++ and
Perl code

- A Perl framework for generating code for control of telecommunication
networks with a thousands plugins, which affected the way the whole code
generation was done, requiring multiple passes

- A transformation engine done in XML/XSLT (yes really!) with a
JavaScript API being called from a Java driver application

- A framework done on top of J2EE, as if J2EE wasn't enough

Better stop here. :)

--
Paulo