xdc: A hypothetical D cross-compiler and AST manipulation tool.

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Tue Nov 12 13:04:11 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 01:32:16 UTC, Chad Joan wrote:
> On Monday, 11 November 2013 at 08:11:06 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
>> On Friday, 19 July 2013 at 13:38:12 UTC, Chad Joan wrote:
>>> I think a C backend would get us farther than an LLVM backend.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> LLVM has a C++ backend in the git tree. The old C backend is
>> still maintained outside the git tree (search the dev mailing
>> list for an url).
>>
>> So if you like C-output, you can start with LDC today. For
>> sure, you have to port druntime to this new environemnt...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kai
>
> Is there any built-in support for using this C++ backend in LDC
> right now?  Something like "ldc --target=c++ main.d -o
> main.cpp"?

Careful: The "cpp" LLVM backend actually creates C++ code that
constructs the corresponding LLVM IR and is mostly useful for
developers working on LLVM-based compilers.

But as Kai mentioned, there also is backend that emits equivalent
C. Last time I checked, it was still being worked on, even though
it isn't in the official LLVM source tree.

David