What’s Wrong with OOP and FP

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Nov 12 14:49:22 PST 2013

Ary Borenszweig:

> It isn't just a feeling :)

Researchers are mostly judged and paid (and career advancements
are mostly based) on the amount and "impact" of papers written.
It's uncommon for "how ideas work in production code" to have a
positive influence on career. To this you have to add the fact
that if they pay you to study and invent new ideas, and you want
to have fun inventing them, you will go look where are the cutest
puzzles to solve (like very complex functional tricks).

This is causing a bad and costly disconnect between practice and
research in computer science and coding, and this is hurting our
society. Even researchers in the private sector like at Microsoft
are plagued with a very low ROI because of that.

To solve this problem there is a growing need to tie the career
advancements and pay of computer science researchers to the
solution of practical problems. I love free basic research, but
here there is a growing problem in need to be solved, for the
society.

The situation is improving only a little, but this far from
enough:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/04/17/the-journal-science-free-the-code/

Bye,
bearophile