DIP 45 - approval discussion

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 16:36:52 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 22:45:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> What are the better ways? Note that most of the time you don't
> "know" the name of a class - you get it down the wire during
> some deserialization. So there must be some way to build an
> object from a token representation of the object.

The serialization is a good example. You'll have to note that if
the code has been able to serialize the data, it can generate at
compile time the necessary scafolding to deserialize it.

>> - The functionality provided by Object.factory is trivially
>> replaced by
>> a solution more specifically tailored to the problem at hand
>> using
>> compile-time reflection.
>
> It's not quite trivial - somewhere there has to be a map and
> registration and lookup and whatnot. I don't see it why it's
> unbecoming for such functionality to be part of the standard
> library. I would agree, however, that it's a judgment call
> whether it should be wired in or provided on demand.

That s why this is a problem to add all that is the core of the
language when it isn't used often.