What’s Wrong with OOP and FP

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 20:03:46 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 11:09:24 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> I think you will be pleased with the argument, given D's
> philosophy:
>
>     https://yinwang0.wordpress.com/2013/11/09/oop-fp/

Before learning D I was using Groovy as main language. At this
point I had fullen in love with the three big paradigms
functional, oop and proceduel. Neither true versions but nether
the less loved it. When it came to wanting efficiency and
exploring new ideas I even considered my own language.

Since Groovy I actually dont use much functional but still very
useful.
This is why I no longer understand reasoning behind any one
paradigm. A great example of why I hate pure oop is singletons.
To me they are just a hack for procedural style. One that also
confuses new developers.

These are just some reasons behind my love for D. And why I
believe it is an appropriate first language.