obliterate

Joseph Cassman jc7919 at outlook.com
Wed Nov 13 01:02:47 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 00:33:17 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:

> * Arrays: some weird length (like 17), and also starting at
> size_t.max minus the memory occupied by the array.

This question probably reflects the fact that I do not know how
arrays are implemented by the D runtime. But wouldn't shrinking
an array cause it's memory to have the possibility of being
reclaimed/reapportioned? At least I expect that to happen in
normal D code any time I change an array's length to make it
smaller; I figure the GC might kick in at any point after that
and reclaim the formerly used memory. Of course, inside an
allocator such functionality could be short cut so that the GC
does not touch it, and shrinking an array is simply a notational
adjustment.

The idea behind a reproducable way to fail all seems good. I am
just concerned that this part might have a performance impact.

No?

Joseph