What’s Wrong with OOP and FP

logicchains jonathan.t.barnard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 02:19:33 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 09:12:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Personally, I have no interest in it and think that its
> designers made some
> very poor choices, but that doesn't mean that we should be
> making fun of it or
> make fun of Google for being the place where the engineers who
> created it
> work. The fact that Google let its engineers spend company time
> on creating a
> new programming langueg says very good things about Google,
> even if the
> language itself ultimately isn't what we'd like.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

For the record, I wasn't making fun of Go when I spoke of its
readability being a particular virtue. If I was managing a large
project with programmers of divergent ability then I might well
pick it for that reason alone. The design choices might seem poor
from the perspective of someone looking for a language that gives
them lots of power, but if you look at it from the perspective of
a language designed to minimise the power of co-workers (and
anybody else) to write difficult-to-understand code, it's
designed magnificently.

An example of this is how, in order to avoid ambiguity, both
automatic dereferencing and the -> operator from C were omitted
from the language. This means that if pt is a pointer to a
struct, then I have to write (*pt).X to access field X of that
struct, as opposed to pt.X in D or pt->X in C, making it
completely clear to anybody glancing at the code that pt is a
pointer.