Improving deprecation management

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Nov 13 11:13:43 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 19:02:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> That would actually be a _big_ problem for code
> maintainability. The same
> compiler binary _must_ be able to compile exactly the same set
> of programs no
> matter when it's used. I should be able to compile exactly the
> same set of
> programs with a particular compiler binary ten years from now
> as I can today.
> Anything else will be a huge problem for real world
> environments that use the
> same compiler for years at a time. It's not always an option to
> update the
> code or the compiler, and even if it is and even if you do
> update the code and
> the compiler, you need to be able to reproduce old builds, and
> that won't work
> if deprecated symbols suddenly stop working just because the
> date changed.

What about connecting it to date of compiler release? That will
fix the issue and does not change much for the original proposal.

> And -w does _not_ turn deprecation warnings into errors (and I
just confirmed that with a simple test program).

I did not know that. That helps process a bit but makes existing
situation even more of a mess then. One shouldn't call a warning
what is not a warning.

My problem with existing feature set is that it has created a
whole damn zoo of compiler flags (which is bad on its own)
without addressing one of key deprecation properties - in the
very same application using one stuff may be an error and other
just an informational message. It is not something that can be
decided application-wise.