Build Master: Scheduling

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Wed Nov 13 19:03:10 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 02:47:15 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
> I think 6 months between releases is entirely too long.  I'd
> really like us to be back closer to the once every month or two
> rather than only twice a year.  The pace of change is high and
> increasing (which is a good thing).  Release early and often
> yields a smoother rate of introducing those changes to the
> non-bleeding-edge part of the community.  The larger the set of
> changes landing in a release the more likely it is to be a
> painful, breaking, experience.

I agree. There's really no reason not to release frequently as
long as the release process isn't overly burdensome on the
Release Czar (Walter's term, not mine :P). Git's cheap and
powerful branching means it's easy to work on changes of nearly
any size and still have a rapid release cycle.

6 months between releases means a regression that was introduced
in the latest version requires you to wait another 6 months for
the fix which means you are running a version that is a year out
of date.