Build Master: Scheduling

Joseph Cassman jc7919 at outlook.com
Wed Nov 13 20:57:35 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 00:37:38 UTC, Tyro[17] wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have accepted the responsibility of preparing the builds for
> DMD and would like to engage in conversation about the way
> ahead.
[...]
> At four-week intervals we make a new beta release. There will
> be no separate release candidate, but if a serious problem is
> discovered we may do the next beta ahead of schedule or make a
> point release. There will be about five or six releases in that
> series.
[...]
> Beta release (2.065beta1)
>     Created monthly from master, except for those months in
> which we create a major release. Stable and suitable for users
> who want the latest code and can live with changes from month
> to month.
>
> Your thoughts and concerns please.

First congratulations! Appreciate your work on this.

For me, I do not really have the time to keep a local build
up-to-date to get the latest changes on head. So I would really
appreciate having a regular binary release that would give me the
latest changes. Being able to schedule in and rely on the
proposed monthly beta release would be a big help. Definitely +1
to that part of the proposal. If a daily snapshot could be
created reliably then that might work. As long as I can get a
regular binary to install.

Thanks

Joseph