Build Master: Scheduling

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 05:33:33 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 05:05:39 UTC, Tyro[17] wrote:
> It's been approximately six months since the release of 2.063
> (alright five+: May 28 to Nov 5). I don't think too many of us
> lost sleep over that. There is nothing ridiculously long about
> six months.

I'm not using HEAD either and its annoying having to wait for
updates with useful fixes and changes.  Also, longer cycles means
more breakage for people who run the "stable" release.

> What I am proposing is that you get a package every month. That
> should be enough time to ferry out any regression that may crop
> up. Use the betas on a monthly basis and you get to ride the
> bullet train.

The problem here is the beta becomes the de facto stable because
people want to be able to use the new things that the
documentation says they can and the breakage is amortised over
months, rather than coming in a huge spike every half year.  This
really needs to be avoided.  If you look at the movement of
active projects in the past few years, most seem to be settling
on shorter release cycles for similar reasons.

-Wyatt