Build Master: Scheduling

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Nov 14 05:55:44 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 00:37:38 UTC, Tyro[17] wrote:

> Your thoughts and concerns please.

Key problem here is that you call by beta something that is
really not a beta. It is short term support release similar to
ones we currently have with a shorter release schedule. And if it
is _really_ supposed to be beta (== with some potentially unfixed
regressions remaining) it is not really usable even in bleeding
edge code.

I have been proposing for ages to take existing
http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process and define long-term
support releases on top of it (== "normal" releases in your
proposal). That way one can do releases once in 2 months to keep
stuff going and mark ones as LTS once in a 6 months (with
intention to backport non-breaking fixes into last 2 LTS) for
users that want more stability.

It fulfills same goals but does not result in broken releases /
confusing naming.