[Poll] On Linux, what should we commonly use as sub-directory name for D?

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:11:17 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 13:50:45 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:23:17 +0100
> schrieb "Dejan Lekic" <dejan.lekic at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 19:50:32 UTC, Marco Leise
>> wrote:
>> > I've seen people use both 'd' and 'dlang' now, so I created a
>> > poll. Everyone assembling Linux packages is then free use the
>> > results to create a similar experience on all distributions.
>> >
>> > http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=52828149e4b06cfb69b97527
>>
>> You should have "None above" as an option. Once you do have,
>> that will be my choice, for now, for Phobos certainly.
>
> I don't want to be limited to one installation of Phobos.
> That's why there is no "none" option. It is required to have
> e.g.:
> /usr/include/dlang/dmd-1.076/druntime
> /usr/include/dlang/dmd-2.063/druntime
> /usr/include/dlang/dmd-2.064/druntime
> /usr/include/dlang/ldc-0.12.0/druntime
> and
> /usr/lib/dlang/dmd-2.063/phobos.a
> /usr/lib/dlang/dmd-2.064/phobos.a

You should be clearn that you were asking about where to put
Phobos, not various D import files (from other D packages).

For Phobos import path, again, I would go for
/usr/include/d/{dmd*|ldc*|gdc*}

For the libraries, I also follow the same approach ArchLinux
packages do. Honestly, no need for /usr/lib/dlang/blabla . Keep
them all in the /usr/lib or /usr/lib{32|64} depending on distro...