dmd 2.065 - Agenda

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:23:07 PST 2013

> Scrum etc is for commercial software development. It does not
> really work for Open Source development, because people will
> always work on what they personally consider most important and
> most interesting. In the agile world there is a customer, who
> prioritizes work items. This cannot be applied here.
>
> Bugzilla votes and stuff are nice to let devs know about bugs,
> but not necessarily motivates to fix them.

My Scrum experience tells me to humbly disagree because Scrum
like all other agile process tools is all about experimentation.
Almost all Scrum practices are applicable in open-source world.
No Scrum team works the same as the other, they all have
different ways of applying Scrum (that is why it is called a
"process tool", not a methodology as many people use to call it).

Kanban is (IMHO) even more applicable in the open-source world as
it has only two prescribed practices, the rest is up to the team
to apply any agile practice they think will help the project...

Take a look how "big open-source guys" do things. Their core team
(typically full-time employed) works on whatever is on the sprint
backlog, while contributors all around the world take whatever
they like working on (with help of mentors quite often). So, it
is possible to have a nicely organised open-source project, if
people are willing to do so.