[Poll] On Linux, what should we commonly use as sub-directory name for D?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Nov 14 11:02:46 PST 2013

Am Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:11:17 +0100
schrieb "Dejan Lekic" <dejan.lekic at gmail.com>:

> On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 13:50:45 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> >
> > I don't want to be limited to one installation of Phobos.
> > That's why there is no "none" option. It is required to have
> > e.g.:
> > /usr/include/dlang/dmd-1.076/druntime
> > /usr/include/dlang/dmd-2.063/druntime
> > /usr/include/dlang/dmd-2.064/druntime
> > /usr/include/dlang/ldc-0.12.0/druntime
> > and
> > /usr/lib/dlang/dmd-2.063/phobos.a
> > /usr/lib/dlang/dmd-2.064/phobos.a
>
> You should be clearn that you were asking about where to put
> Phobos, not various D import files (from other D packages).

Both actually. This was just an example with no bike-shedding
potential.

> For Phobos import path, again, I would go for
> /usr/include/d/{dmd*|ldc*|gdc*}
>
> For the libraries, I also follow the same approach ArchLinux
> packages do. Honestly, no need for /usr/lib/dlang/blabla . Keep
> them all in the /usr/lib or /usr/lib{32|64} depending on distro...

In fact there is a need for it as soon as you install them once
for each compiler. And that's where I want to go.
Alternatively suffixes could be used, but that makes it more
difficult to find the correct library name. So I went for
sub-directories.

--
Marco