DIP 45 - approval discussion

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 11:54:34 PST 2013

On Thursday, 14 November 2013 at 13:31:30 UTC, Benjamin Thaut
wrote:
> Am 14.11.2013 11:28, schrieb Walter Bright:
>>
>> This of course means that functions may wind up going through
>> the
>> dllimport indirection even for calling functions in the same
>> dll, but it
>> should work.
>
> Also our suggested approach would not have this downside.
>
> Think about phobos. All of phobos and druntime will be littered
> with export attributes. Do you really want all phobos and
> druntime from within the same dll to go through dll
> indirections? And what would happen when building phobos as
> static library? With your suggested behavior (export=dllimport
> if not specified otherwise) this would mean that even the
> phobos static library would have those indirections.

This thread have reached some end.

It has been shown in the beginning that linkers know how to get
rid of the indirection here. If we are going to discuss the same
thing again and again without even doing some experiment for the
reality check, then we can stop right here.