Build Master: Scheduling

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Nov 15 02:01:35 PST 2013

On 2013-11-15 10:16, luka8088 wrote:

> Yes. For example, if you have version 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3. And you find and
> fix a bug in 0.3 but you still wish to support backport for 0.2 and 0.1
> that you indeed need to make 3 releases. 0.1.1, 0.2.1 and 0.3.1.

There's a difference in still supporting old releases and working on
five different releases at the same time that hasn't been released at all.

> But then again having LTS that others have mentioned seems better. So
> that only each nth release has 2.x.1, 2.x.2, 2.x.3.
>
>  From my perspective, not separating releases with improvements + bug
> fixes from releases with only bug fixes is an issue. Because every new
> improvement implies risk of new bugs and some users just want to have
> one version that is as stable as possible.
>
> What do you all think about http://semver.org/ ?
> We use this king of versioning notation at work and it turns out to be
> very good.

I like it but I'm not sure who it's applied to applications. It's clear
to see how it works for libraries but not for applications. I mean, what
is considered an API change for an application? Changing the command
line flags?

--
/Jacob Carlborg