Ehem, ARM

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Nov 15 05:10:08 PST 2013

On 2013-11-15 13:41, Michel Fortin wrote:

> That was my idea too initially: put it in the reference implementation
> and other implementations will follow, and it'll become part of the
> language. That'd be great. But it's hard when you have to fix the
> backend to emit what you need. I have some fears about that for the
> exception handling stuff in the modern runtime, perhaps they're
> unjustified.

Yeah, that's the biggest advantage of doing it in LDC. They already have
the correct back end parts in place.

> I wonder if Walter will approve the merge, despite his stated intention
> to do so eventually. The surface area of that patch is huge, it'll take
> him many hours for an initial review, and probably several iterations of
> that review process will be required to get it to pass. I remember my
> smaller-scale pull request #3 that never got reviewed... but maybe
> (hopefully?) things have changed since then.

Hopefully things are better now. There seems to be more people now that
have a greater knowledge of DMD.

> Haha. No. I skim by topic of interest. But I generally play the passive
> observer. Replying generally brings other replies, begging for more
> followup. I have a couple of replies that were written but which I never
> posted because I anticipated writing the eventual followups wouldn't be
> worth my time. It doesn't help that I tend to spend too much time
> carefully writing anything too, proofreading and weighing every word.

Understandable. Like my post about AST macros. It's always a hot topic.

--
/Jacob Carlborg