Build Master: Scheduling

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Nov 15 06:04:10 PST 2013

On Friday, 15 November 2013 at 09:23:27 UTC, luka8088 wrote:
> Yes but not having a delay between the time a new feature is
> implemented
> and the time it is released is very risky in terms of bugs.
> Because this
> new features has not been tester properly. And that is a fact.

Common misconception. We have relatively few breaking changes and
bugs introduced by new features, much more common are regressions
introduced by routine bug fixing (because of all hidden relations)

What is bad with calling those fast releases "betas" is that they
will be unusable with current approach to betas. Right now beta
is just some snapshot from master which can contain any possible
amount of regressions. Point of time when beta is released is
point of time when people start actively fixing all those issues
and that is the key property. If it becomes just another snapshot
with no implies efforts to fix all regressions in relatively
short term it gains us nothing over nightly master builds. Other
than making actual releases delayed even longer.