DIP 45 - approval discussion

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Fri Nov 15 07:34:38 PST 2013

Am 15/11/2013 08:32, schrieb Walter Bright:
> It's not that bad. Phobos can be built by specifying all the files on
> the command line.
>
> Also, at least on Windows, you can call functions in a DLL without
> saying dllimport on them and suffering a layer of indirection. The magic
> happens in the import library, which provides the relevant thunk. It's
> about 15 years since I worked on this stuff, so I might be a bit fuzzy
> on the details.

I know that. And we are using that fact in DIP 45. For data symbols we
did suggest a similar behaviour that has to be implemented by us first.
And yes we need data symbols, because of all the implicit data symbols
the D programming language generates. TypeInfos, vtables etc.

I suggest that you read all the links I gave for further reading in DIP
45 and DIP 45 again, because you are pretty close to what we suggested
in DIP 45 without actually realizing it.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut