Build Master: Scheduling

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Nov 15 07:47:19 PST 2013

On Friday, 15 November 2013 at 15:25:29 UTC, QAston wrote:
> On Friday, 15 November 2013 at 07:50:28 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
> wrote:

> On the other hand, supporting build with 2 versions: latest
> beta and latest LTS is not a big burden imo (unless you expose
> bleeding edge features in the api).

I like the Ubuntu release model. Translated into D would be:

- a (regular) release every 2 months
   * supported until the next (regular) release gets out
   * point releases will follow every 2 weeks, with bug fixes only
(better a short list of bugs well fixed, that is without
regressions, than a longer list with plenty of regressions)

- each 3rd (regular) release, that is every 6 months, will be a
LTS release
   * supported until the next LTS release gets out (possibly
longer)
   * point releases will follow every 2 weeks, with bug fixes only
(unless causing serious code breakage)

The first 2 (regular) releases will introduce bugfixes as well as
new features, while the LTS release will (aim to) provide the new
features from the above regular releases, plus bug fixes. So, for
creating a LTS release, the first for months will be of features
and bug fixes, while the latter 2 months will be just bug fixes
(features could also appear here if judged stable enough).