Qt5 and D

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 12:48:17 PST 2013

Le 15/11/2013 11:10, Joseph Rushton Wakeling a écrit :
> On 15/11/13 00:37, Xavier Bigand wrote:
>> It's only a prototype for the moment, and it will certainly never
>> compatible
>> with QML files. But if you are only interested by property binding and
>> the
>> composition system of QML, DQuick will make you happy.
>
> First of all -- thanks for your work on DQuick :-)
>
> However, I think we have to acknowledge that Qt5 in general is a really
> important toolkit that needs first-class D support.  This is only going
> to become more true as more and more development moves onto mobile
> platforms.
>
> An effective QtD may be a hard problem but it's one that needs a solution.

My point of view is :
  1) phobos will be same as Qt basic frameworks (utf string, network,
io,...)
  2) Moc try to provide some basic features of D that are missing in
C++, like traits
  3) Widget model is deprecated
  4) QML isn't perfect, there is a lot of hacks (I use it for a
commercial application every days)
  5) A D native GUI system will put D on stage, a such library it can
demonstrate benefits of GC, signals, traits, concurrency,... on
something that stay light.