Building druntime on MAC OS X

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Fri Nov 15 22:47:34 PST 2013

On Saturday, 16 November 2013 at 03:50:25 UTC, evilrat wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 November 2013 at 03:20:03 UTC, Andrew Edwards
> wrote:
>> I am having little problem building druntime on Mac OS X 10.9
>> (Mavericks) and am wondering if anyone has experienced with
>> this and some guidance on how to fix it.
>>
>> Here is my command:
>> make -f posix.mak install DMD=../install/bin/dmd
>>
>> And here is the resulting error:
>> ../install/bin/dmd -ofgenerated/osx/default/rdmd rdmd.d
>> ld: unknown option: --export-dynamic
>> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v
>> to see invocation)
>> --- errorlevel 1
>> make: *** [generated/osx/default/rdmd] Error 1
>>

> i think this is related to hidden replace of gcc with clang.
> personally i don't do much c++ on osx, but people suggests use
> "-export-dynamic"(note single minus). hope it helps.

The recent switch to clang on 10.9 as the reason seemed to make
sense, as I've run into a similar issue with clang before.  But
after googling a little bit and looking at the error, maybe the
problem is a new linker in OS X 10.9?  Assuming we've always been
passing --export-dynamic to the linker, I don't see why it would
start failing now, unless the GNU ld from binutils has been
swapped out.

I suggest you look at where this --export-dynamic flag is being
added in the build scripts and try changing the number of dashes
or removing the flag, after looking at the docs for the OS X
linker to see what flags it takes.