D Language Citation

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Nov 17 01:25:57 PST 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 12:25 +0530, Sumit Adhikari wrote:
> Dear User Community,
>
> This mail is in particular to the citation of D.
>
> D is extremely poorly cited (Yes this comes from a R&D guy). I searched and
> searched (everywhere including IEEEXplore) and nothing comes in my hand!
>
> There are materials available on internet which are not peer reviewed and
> hence I cannot use for Journal citation! It is like I have everything but I
> cannot cite!

Clearly URLs have to be considered ephemera as far as academic
publication is concerned. However there are three classes of ephemera:
1. non-publishing websites; 2. publishing-related websites; and 3.
publishing related archives.

As an academic (admittedly a long time ago now), I would refuse to use
or allow use of (as an editor of journal or conference proceedings) URLs
in Category 1. However categories 2 and 3 are more reliable and so
acceptable. Actually they are mandatory these days with the emerging
academic publishing models. So where does this "ban" on using online
material for citations come from? Are you self-censoring based on the
notion of peer reviewed paper published journal?

> It would be great idea as a beneficiary of D to publish for the future of
> D. Please consider what I am saying :). Please publish.

Walter Bright has published a number of papers in Dr Dobb's Journal and
elsewhere, For example:

http://www.drdobbs.com/tools/implementing-pure-functions/230700070
http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/increasing-compiler-speed-by-over-75/240158941

Others have written and published in other places. There were some
articles about D published in CVu, the journal of ACCU
(http://www.accu.org) for example.

And then there is:

Alexandrescu A, The D Programming Language, Addison-Wesley, 2010.

A fine publication, with certain publishing faults that lead to extreme
collector pressure on value :-)

The last point for now is that there is academic programming language
research, and there is real world programming language development. The
two are very different – believe me I have done both. So whilst Scala,
which came from academia, has academic publications, Ceylon, Kotlin,
Groovy, Ruby, Clojure, C++, D, Rust, JavaScript, Python, etc., etc. are
developed almost entirely in a commercial or FOSS setting and so have no
academic publications associated with them per se. D is not unique in
this position.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk