D Language Citation

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Nov 18 06:03:11 PST 2013

On 18/11/13 14:15, Russel Winder wrote:
> The very worst thing for me in terms of citation is ones like (personal
> communication, 1984). I banned that one.

Personally I do think there's a value to that, simply as a means of giving
credit to someone who contributed an idea or unpublished result that turned out
to be fruitful but didn't have enough involvement in the work to really count as
an author.  Though I favour the solution journals like Nature came up with,
which is to have that citation in the text but not the reference list, like this
(A. N. Other, personal communication) and not like this [1]

    [1] S. B. D. Else, personal communication.

> Citations are to archived material that has a 99.999999% chance of being
> accessible in 15 years time

There's a certain irony in the fact that, given the constraints of print
publication, various books and journal articles are now in many ways much _less_
accessible than supposedly ephemeral URLs.