try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Nov 18 12:44:43 PST 2013

> On Monday, November 18, 2013 07:56:15 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 11/18/13 12:59 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> I like the empty newlines as well. Otherwise it feels like reading a
>>> text without paragraphs.
>>
>> But three newlines for four lines? That's not paragraphs, it's a grocery
>> list.
>
> Yeah. It falls apart on some level when there are so few lines. It's just that
> it's also ugly to mush them all together. So, to me at least, it seems like
> it's ugly either way, and in the past, I've just stuck with my normal pattern
> of having the blank lines when that's the case. Now (in part, thanks to your
> complaints about it), I'm more likely to mush the lines together when putting
> the blank lines would result in a bunch of one liners. But I don't really feel
> like there's a good solution when the function is so short.

Well you must agree at some level that since you don't like short
functions with or without newlines inserted, the set of options is
considerably reduced.

1. You search for an editor that offers half lines.

2. You shun short functions altogether.

3. You adjust your style.

Style is not something immutable. Paradoxically, when I was younger I
used to see it as less of a variable than now. Improving and adapting
one's style to various contexts is a lifelong and beneficial process.

Andrei