DIP 50 - AST macros

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Mon Nov 18 13:38:07 PST 2013

On Sunday, 17 November 2013 at 10:41:46 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> We already have templates and operator overloading. Perhaps we
> should remove those, we don't want to take the chance of people
> abusing them.

D templates have been designed with the past experience of C++
templates in mind, so the mistakes have been avoided. With
macros, we don't have much experience; Lisp macros can't count as
the language is too different.

>> Basically, people want to change the language, but without
>> having to
>> discuss their own extensions in the newsgroups. It's sometimes
>> handy,
>> but you'll end up with crappy features all over the place.
>
> No, people want a general solution that doesn't require the
> language to be extended each time they come up with a useful
> feature.

Sorry but I tend to value the feedback of people who have already
put some serious effort in expression templates and mixins like
Don.