try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Nov 19 23:37:38 PST 2013

On 2013-11-19 22:21, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> It's not a minor detail. Besides, people took time to explain this to
> you, and the right response is to integrate that information, not to
> demean it.

I think so. I've not magically become a better programmer just because I
know this information. I can also tell you that a lot of programmers
have no idea what's the difference between an expression and a
statement. Many have not even header of those words.

The first person that said that an expression ending with a semicolon is
a statement was David, and my reply was "Ok, I didn't know that.".
What's so demeaning about that?

> That's exactly my point. The matter of fact is, in a setting where
> people are paid to write code, this kind of minor issue would be settled
> around the first week since hiring. At Facebook for example you'd be
> submitting a phabricator diff (loosely equivalent to a github pull
> request) and our linter will point out we use two spaces for indentation
> instead of tabs, and 80 columns. Then a couple of peers would point out
> that code is about twice as sparse vertically than it should. You'd fix
> these issues for good and that would be that. This has happened quite a
> few times. If, on the other hand, you chose to make a big deal out of
> it, that would be a cultural mismatch that to my knowledge would be
> unprecedented.

Don't you think I can adapt to a particular style that a company or
project is using?

I can tell you that I would love to have code reviews like you have at
Facebook. We have just started using code reviews at my work, it only
took me three _years_ to get to that.

I can also say that we have lines with over 400 columns, I hate it. But
it's there because no one cared enough.

I think it would be insulting if someone about to hire me can't see
through the formatting of my code and base a decision on that. I would
have no interest in working for someone like that. I don't even want to
know what other strange things that can be hiding in that company
behaving like that.

Who said your style is a better one that I should follow.

I should just stop this because it doesn't lead anywhere.

--
/Jacob Carlborg