try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Nov 20 12:47:10 PST 2013

On 11/20/13 12:17 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 20:06:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> What I meant is there are consistent styles that are objectively
>> worse. Consistency is necessary but not sufficient.
>
> And what I meant is this opinion of yours is wrong. Any consistent style
> that is liked by at least one programmer that uses it in practice is no
> worse than any other possible consistent style.

There are a bunch of styles that are consistent yet used by nobody,
because they are objectively worse. So consistency is not the sole
requirement. Then you hadn't mentioned "that is liked by at least one
programmer" which moves the goalposts. Then one programmer can be one
highly unusual human being, so there is strength in numbers.

Generally I tend to double-check with all-inclusive characterization
"everybody's doing great" and "agree to disagree" and such. Taken to the
extreme such a stance does little else than to promote undue relativism.
So whenever someone asks me to agree to disagree I go back to first
principles and look for rationale that makes one of the points
objectively refutable.

Andrei