string import dependencies

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Nov 20 14:33:55 PST 2013

On 20.11.2013 22:42, Robert wrote:

>> If the output wasn't there in the first place wouldn't it be possible
>> to add new information in a backwards compatible way?
>
> No, the format of the file does not allow that. Whether compatibility is
> a concern or not was not for me to decide. I assumed it is not a good
> idea to break tools this abruptly. I thought it would be better to add
> just a new way of getting dependencies (which has an extensible format,
> btw.), the old one can then be deprecated and removed sometime in the
> future.

I created a pull request to add string import dependencies by replacing
the protection attribute with "string":
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2835

Visual D just ignores the new lines, but newer versions can support it.

I don't think the other output of -deps (without filename) is needed for
make-like build tools.