try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Nov 20 19:22:10 PST 2013

> So, while some cases are clearly objectively bad (e.g. all of the code on one
> line), I think that you're going to have a hard time arguing it objectively in
> most cases - especially when it comes to legibility, since different people find
> different styles to be more legible, and what's more legible often comes down
> to what you're used to seeing rather than anything particularly objective.

Legibility can be objective, too.

For example, it is a fact that many fonts do not distinguish O and 0, l and 1.
It is an objective fact that people have trouble distinguishing them. The JSF
C++ coding standard, for example, prohibits using an "l" suffix on integral
literals for that reason.

It's also an objective fact that people have trouble distinguishing:

     verylongisanidentifier

from:

     verulongsianidentifier

It's not just tomayto-tomahto. Human factors research shows that some designs
are objectively better than others.