D vs Go in real life

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Nov 21 07:31:13 PST 2013

On Thursday, 21 November 2013 at 12:14:09 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 November 2013 at 11:07:15 UTC, Chris wrote:

>>> I forgot to say that I really don't know what this will end
>>> up in
>>
>> I'm wary of languages that are hyped by big companies or the
>> web programming community. First there was Java which is still
>> getting face lifts and plastic surgery. Then there was Ruby,
>> "the way to go", but it hasn't convinced me yet. If all these
>> languages are "soooo good", why do people still feel the need
>> to come up with new solutions (cf. all the new languages for
>> the JVM)? The answer is probably "tunnel vision" design and
>> development. The language designers offer one ideology and
>> users don't have to think when designing their programs.
>> Simple as that. If you have a big company to back this up,
>> people will think "it's THE ultimate best ever" language.
>> Personally, I enjoy the freedom of D programming, even though
>> with this freedom come tough questions as to the design of the
>> program.
>

> You mean like C and C++ were by AT&T? Or FORTRAN and PL/I/M by
> IBM?
>
> Java was not the first one.
>
> Languages need a corporate sponsor or a killer framework to
> gain market share.

D's advantage is that there is no committee, laboratory or
marketing department that decides which features to implement.
It's as close to a grassroots thing as you can get, I think.

> Luckily we can now point to Facebook as possible corporate
> sponsor.

But that's post-factum. The language already happily exists
outside the corporate sphere, unlike Java that was a product from
the very beginning.