D vs Go in real life

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Nov 22 05:22:09 PST 2013

On Friday, 22 November 2013 at 12:34:23 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Friday, 22 November 2013 at 10:29:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> Yes, yes, yes. You are of course right that corporate backing
>> gives a language a boost, even if it's a mediocre language.
>> But as soon as corporate thinking comes into a language
>> (profit, ideology, branding, hype and whatnot), it's doomed. D
>> has to breathe, and I admire all the people who have made D
>> happen, and who are making it happen. I've learned a lot just
>> by listening (well, reading).
>
> You're talking about corporate _management_ rather than
> corporate backing.  The former can obviously lead to problems
> (though it doesn't have to) -- the latter is almost invariably
> good, as it means there's someone who can serve as guarantor
> that any necessary work will get done.

You cannot separate the two. Management will creep into
development sooner or later. E.g. one day D might implement
features that have to do with what Facebook needs more than
features that programmers need in general. So a module
std.webshite.upload.latest.picture gets all the attention while
std.reallyhandy is being neglected.