Need help making minimal bare metal ARM Cortex-M D program

Mike none at none.com
Sun Nov 24 05:19:43 PST 2013

On Sunday, 24 November 2013 at 12:53:42 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 November 2013 at 12:43:01 UTC, Mike wrote:
>> I am very new to D, but I finally got my toolchain compiled
>> and working.  I'm using LDC.  I failed with GDC and eventually
>> gave up.
>>

> I know Johannes has some patches yet to trickle down into gdc.
> And druntime is does not support ARM fully in 2.063, but it
> would be helpful if you could take some time to let people know
> what went wrong when you tried things, rather than just giving
> up.  Otherwise, nothing will get fixed.

I don't think the problems I encountered with GDC were the fault
of GDC.  They were my fault.  I have more to learn about the
Linux platform.  It seems the GCC toolchain is highly dependent
on the  host platform and if things aren't set up just right, you
get errors that have nothing to do with the actual problem.

Also, when I tried to follow the crosstools instructions here
(http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Cross_Compiler) I found that the
latest crosstools was missing some of the options that are needed.

I have been quite successful using the GNU Tools for ARM Embedded
Processors here (https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded), and I
hope to merge this with the GDC code and give it another try.  I
tried it this weekend, but I wasn't even able to get the shell
scripts to run without errors.

And, I didn't JUST give up.  I worked on it all weekend, every
weekend, for the past 3 weeks.  I'm tired of the platform
dependencies, and I'm anxious to just get started.  Once I get
more familiar with D and have some working code, I'll give GDC
another try.