Why is it that no one writes with portability in mind in druntime?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 24 23:43:37 PST 2013

On Sunday, 24 November 2013 at 22:38:15 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:

> But it is true that a large portion of our platform-specific
> problems stem from
> types that vary in size.

Size *and* format. ie: big/little endian, 80/96/128bit reals,
etc...

My biggest problem with stuff like this (see link in original
post) is that after so much combined effort getting things
working across multiple architectures - just take a look at any
pull for version MIPS, PPC, PPC64, SPARC, ARM, etc... or my pull
for implementing std.math for almost all (double-double reals the
main one missing), IEEE real types - someone goes ahead and
breaks support for all these targets and no one thinks or lifts
an eyebrow over it.

Library maintainers need to stop writing code with the assumption
that their code is only going to be used with dmd and x86, and
they should have stopped doing it 6 months ago.