Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 16:36:21 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 00:13:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> First I'd like to gather an understanding on why we seem to
> have this problem (far as I understand, the likes of php and
> python are doing fine with curl, but maybe I'm wrong).

A major difference is there's only one php/python binary, usually
build on the same system that uses it. Phobos, on the other hand,
is generally built on the packager's computer, which isn't always
binary compatible with the deployment box.

On Windows, the problem is simply that curl isn't packaged with
dmd, for some weird reason, meaning people have to get curl.lib
separately. That's idiotic. But then again, so are a lot of the
dmd Windows deficiencies.

> If we do decide to do away with libcurl, one possible solution
> would be to embed its source code within our build. That way we
> wouldn't break code that already uses it.

Yes, that would be ideal, we should just statically link curl
right into the phobos build so it just works everywhere.