Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Tue Nov 26 09:58:25 PST 2013

On 26 November 2013 16:39, Andrei Alexandrescu
> On 11/26/13 7:48 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, 25 November 2013 at 07:38:38 UTC, Jordi Sayol wrote:
>>>
>>> As Jonathan M Davis said:
>>> ---
>>> Several of the main devs (including Walter) have stated that having
>>> std.net.curl on Phobos was a mistake given all of the problems that
>>> we've had with it on Windows and Linux as well, and at least some of
>>> them have expressed a desire for it to be removed. I expect that
>>> there's a good chance that it can and will be removed from Phobos if
>>> brought up for discussion.
>>>
>>> Certainly, I think that it's clear that we will not add any further
>>> external dependencies like curl, because curl has proven to be a big
>>> problem. It's very desirable to have bindings and wrappers for C
>>> libraries - but putting them in the standard library when it's not
>>> guaranteed that the appropriate library is on the system by default
>>> has proven to be too problematic, so they should be left to external
>>> projects.
>>> ---
>>>
>>> "std.net.curl" can also be moved from Phobos to Deimos.
>>> Deimos can be rethink, i.e. new build master can add a make building
>>> script on Deimos in order to compile all projects included on it,
>>> generating "libdeimos.a" and "libdeimos.so", documentation, etc.
>>

>> +1
>> It should have been removed from Phobos long ago.
>

> The problem is that "long ago" adding libcurl seemed like a perfectly
> reasonable option, particularly considering that we didn't (and we don't)
> have anything to replace it.
>
> Andrei

Especially when you look at the "competitors"

http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html

The checkboxes that would need to be ticked for me:

1. Does it have any third party dependencies?  Preferably no.
2. Can it be built into libphobos easily - see: zlib in phobos, or
sqllite3.amalgamation.c which I thought *was* in phobos at some
point... maybe not?