DMD can implicitly convert class pointer to the bool. Is it bug or terrible feature?

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 26 10:48:27 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 17:52:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 11/26/13 9:39 AM, ilya-stromberg wrote:
> That sugar is already liable of causing cancer of the
> semicolon. And adding a feature that is predicated on adding
> sugar? Kiss of death.

Thanks for explanation. I really don't understand what's a
problem with #9801, but believe you that it's bad idea.
Maybe you can find another solution, I don't know.
BTW, it will be great to have static code analyzer, maybe with a
custom rules and, maybe built-in into compiler. We already have
built-in profiler.

> Just drop this. Ten people come, on their first day using D,
> with eleven new ideas that shuffle things around a bit at the
> cost of breaking everybody's code.

I think I use D about 1-2 years. I knew about it when your book
TDPL wasn't published and GDC was broken, it was 2009-2010 as I
remember. So, it's definitely not a my first day using D.

I just found bug that can be catched via compiler and decide to
write about it because, theoretically, we can improve this. Sorry
for incomprehension.