Ehem, ARM

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Nov 26 12:26:06 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 17:12:38 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
> Native apps are working, just not officially supported. I
> actually had
> a native Hello World working on ARM/Android with GDC, however
> fixing
> bugs related to native apps usually isn't high priority on
> Android.
>
> This bug for example wasn't fixed back then and was a
> showstopper:
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=28598
I don't see how that was a showstopper when you could avoid it
simply by using the right flags, as noted in the penultimate
comment there.  Also, I get the impression that the build system
makefiles for Android itself are pretty much the same as the NDK,
so Android would have some pretty serious problems if they didn't
get their toolchain for building native system, ie non-java,
processes working right. ;)

> Last time I looked pure native apps couldn't use the GUI
> though, has
> that changed?
Depends what you mean.  The NDK has always been pitched at game
devs, so you can't call the Android UI components directly from
native code AFAIK.  But you could use OpenGL ES 2.0 from Android
2.0 and employ EGL with a pure native shared library app since
Android 2.3 in 2010, so you could employ your own OpenGL-based
GUI toolkit for a long time:

http://mobilepearls.com/labs/native-android-api/ndk/docs/STABLE-APIS.html

And you could always use JNI to do your GUI in java and
number-crunching in C/C++, but yeah, that's not pure native.