Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:17:23 PST 2013

> On 11/26/13 12:06 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> As many have mentioned before. Everything (in this case
>> Phobos) should
>> be built on the same platform as it is shipping. So we needed
>> specific
>> releases for each Linux distribution we want to support.

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 20:10:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> OK, thanks. That seems like something approachable from our
> end. Is this a common approach among other language
> distributions, e.g. python, ruby, go, rust etc. etc?

(Greetings all.  I just started using D yesterday.)

Languages that are entirely open source and popular just publish
their source code, and the Linux distributions compile, package
and distribute those languages.

For example, if you look at Debian's Python3 package, you can see
who the package maintainers are (right column, part way down):
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/python3

The Debian Python3 package maintainers may (or may not) work on
Python itself.

I believe that parts of DMD are closed source, which may create
some level of barrier (both technological and ideological) to
distributing DMD (and its libraries) in the standard Linux
fashion.