Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Nov 27 11:00:20 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 07:45:07PM +0100, John Colvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 November 2013 at 17:58:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
[...]
> >We could add that. I'll note that building Phobos is something for
> >the experts only.
> >
> >Andrei
>
> I'm not sure I would consider myself an expert but I compile
> dmd/druntime/phobos once a day on 3 different machines. Hah, now I
> type that it seems a little excessive!

I don't have 3 different machines, but I find myself compiling git HEAD
so often, that I've written a script that automatically pulls upstream
master, pushes to my github fork, runs make clean, and rebuilds
everything from scratch. Sometimes, I run that script multiple times a
day. :)

But yeah, if you can build the D toolchain by hand, I'd consider you as
an expert. Perhaps not as expert as the phobos devs, maybe, but
definitely not among the lay people. ;-)

To D's credit, though, building the toolchain really *is* as simple as
just running the makefiles in the source code in the right order (dmd,
druntime, then phobos), perhaps with an option or two (like MODEL=64).

Try doing that with, say, the gcc toolchain, and you're in for a journey
of pain that will last, if you're lucky, days, or if not, weeks and
maybe even months. (Unless you're just one of those geniuses that seem
to have no problem whatsoever in taming the gcc / glibc build process.
I'm certainly not among them. The gcc build scripts hate me, and hate me
a lot, for some reason, and they just refuse to work in my environment.
I flinch every time the thought of rebuilding gcc comes to mind. The dmd
toolchain is, in comparison, a pleasure to build.)

A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. -- P. Erdos