Unicode handling comparison

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 12:22:20 PST 2013

27-Nov-2013 22:54, Jacob Carlborg пишет:
> On 2013-11-27 18:56, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Working with graphemes is rather expensive thing to do performance-wise.
>> I like how D makes this fact obvious and provides continuous transition
>> through abstraction levels here. It is important to make the costs
>> obvious.
>
> I think it's missing a final high level abstraction. As with the rest of
> the abstractions you're not forced to use them.

This could give an idea of what Perl folks do to get the grapheme feel
like a unit of string:
http://www.parrot.org/content/ucs-4-nfg-and-how-grapheme-tables-makes-it-awesome

You seriously don't want this kind of behind the scenes work taking
place in systems language.

P.S. The text linked presents some incorrect "facts" about Unicode that
I'm not to be held responsible for :) I do believe however that the
general idea described is interesting and is worth trying out in
addition to what we have in std.uni.

--
Dmitry Olshansky