Homebrew formula: build from sources, betas, git head

Orvid King blah38621 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 19:37:22 PST 2013

On Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 02:54:27 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> (context: homebrew is a very nice package installer for OS X.
> It is, IMO, the easiest way to install dmd and related
> utilities in OS X, and should probably be mentioned/recommended
> in the downloads page)
>
> Is anyone here proficient with homebrew formulas? The current
> formula for DMD is only able to install the binaries (which is
> not very usual for homebrew, AFAIK). Being able to install from
> sources (--build-from-source) would be nice, not just to
> support --devel (e.g., the beta versions, which could also be
> supplied as binaries) but also --HEAD, which would build the
> git master branch.
>
> Adding support for those options is important, because they
> allow one to:
>
> - easily install and uninstall the beta versions, and quickly
> change between several versions (they are cached). These betas
> tend to not see as much field testing as one/Walter would like
> before they become a non-beta release, so this would help.
> Adding a tag like "latest-beta" to the git repo would allow one
> to build from sources the latest beta, even if the homebrew
> formula was out of date (e.g., it did not specify the latest
> beta binaries, or a specific beta version tag, like
> v2.064beta4).
>
> - easily install the git head version. Homebrew makes this much
> easier than following the instruction at
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD#Posix, by cloning the repo
> automatically, building the binaries/libs (which would be fat
> binaries, unlike the wiki instructions), installing, creating
> dmd.conf, etc. Support for this option would make evaluating
> dmd/phobos/druntime bugs much easier ("does it still reproduce
> in git head?"). You can also access the cloned repo and do your
> changes from there, so it lowers the barrier to casual
> contributions even more.
>
> So, is anyone here proficient with homebrew formulas? Anyone
> willing to take this task? If no one volunteers, I'll try to do
> it when I find the time, but I'm not very proficient with
> homebrew formulas/Ruby, and homebrew's documentation has always
> been lacking, IMO. So, if someone is comfortable with homebrew
> your help would be very welcome.

Well, I was actually thinking about creating them at some point,
because currently I just have a small bash script that updates my
local repos, builds and installs using the posix makefile, then
makes a couple of changes to the default dmd.conf, due to the
fact I'm using the posix makefile, and using homebrew to do that
would be a lot easier for most.