D for Speech and Signal Processing

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Nov 28 02:30:34 PST 2013

There are voice analysis and speech processing toolkits like
Covarep and Voicebox (see links below) that were coded in Matlab,
because they were originally only prototypes. There has been talk
of porting them to C++. My first thought, as you might imagine,
was why not use D? However, I don't know if there are any
performance issues, especially for real time systems (in speech
recognition), talking about GC, or in fact any other issues
(number grinding etc.).

A lot of the analysis tools are based on some sort of HMM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Markov_model) and I think D
could handle that elegantly.

https://github.com/covarep/covarep
http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/voicebox/voicebox.html