Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

Jordi Sayol g.sayol at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 28 08:58:20 PST 2013

El 28/11/13 17:12, Dicebot ha escrit:
> On Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 15:59:12 UTC, Jordi Sayol wrote:
>> We should then generate dmd packages for every distro release because they can fail between releases too.
>
> Or just let specific distro package maintainers do their job.
>
>> The only thing that breaks the current dmd zip system is libcurl dependency. All other thinks properly works on all Linux distros/releases.
>
> Are you actually sure? _all_ stuff? _all_ distros? I doubt it.

Please can you show something on dmd/phobos that fails on any actively maintained Linux distro that properly works on another one?

Just libcurl dependency.

>> Should we change all this well working system due to a single problem with an external library dependency?
>
> It is not working, it just happens to not work for a very tiny user base which is more likely to workaround the issue by building from source other than reporting it.
>
> Really, I don't care what the solution is. You can leave current archive as-is and close that Fedora issue as invalid, it is not that important. Just stop pretending it is supported for all platforms and that it can _possibly_ be supported for all platforms.

Things, if simpler, much better.

I think is better to keep a single dmd/phobos binary/libray for Linux if they are capable to work on all active distros, and this is the case without libcurl dependency.

If a new libcurl D wrapper project is created, I'll be the first to generate deb packages for it, but out of phobos.

--
Jordi Sayol