GUI libraries

Chris Cain clcain at uncg.edu
Thu Nov 28 18:00:47 PST 2013

On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 01:44:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Still lacking proper beard ;)

A programmer without a beard! Blasphemy! Witch!

----

But anyway, going along with what you guys are saying, if you've
ever seen reviews on Android apps, a lot of apps get lots of bad
reviews for not adhering to the Android design standards. Using
cross-platform toolkits are usually a death sentence for your
rating. So, there's a lot to be said about making sure your app
looks consistent in the OS it's running in.

Some apps do "get away" with something that is somewhat custom.
Take, for instance, Steam on Windows. It doesn't look like a
"proper" Windows application, but it works very well for it
regardless. That said, Steam on Mac is terrible because it feels
too much like a windows app there (mainly in regards to scrolling
behavior).

That all said, if I were writing a GUI app in D right now, I
would probably write my own toolkit and make something super
simple (but "good" looking) to test out some new ideas. I think
we really need an easy, straight-forward, and powerful UI toolkit
that takes advantage of D's unique features (such as compile-time
specialization, maybe using DSLs that compiled & used at
compile-time instead of runtime) while reflecting well in
comparison to the newest paradigms of application design (think
how Android & iOS apps are made and maybe even a bit of web
design). I can't quite precisely quantify what we need, but I
think a fresh approach to the UI programming interface could set
D apart in this area.

Simply using a translation of an old UI toolkit is "easy" but
will not make UI applications pleasing to develop.